Bride & Groom Cake Topper
With a little creativity, guy and girl doll blanks can be transformed into an adorable personalized cake topper. Simply follow the templates or sketch out your own interpretation (you may want to get a couple of extra doll forms in case of mistakes).
Makes 1 cake topper
- 3 1/2-inch tall male and female wooden dolls (available on Etsy.com or at craft stores)
- Acrylic paints (we used white, red, brown, and black)
- 20 to 25 seed beads (we used red)
- Small piece of tulle for the veil
- Decorative button for the veil
- Decorative button or cabochon for the bouquet
- 6-x-1-inch Styrofoam disc (available at craft and floral supply shops)
- One 8 1/2x11-inch sheet patterned or solid text-weigh paper
- 1 yard 1-inch ribbon
- Paper plate
- Small square brush
- Small pointed brush
- Cup of water
- Paper towel
- Beading needle, or "sharp"
- Hot glue gun and glue sticks
- Pin (optional)
1. Paint the figurines. Lightly mark your design on the figurines in pencil. customize the features to match both you and your fiancé -- have fun! Squeeze a dab of each paint color onto your paper plate. Wet your brush in your cup of water, dab on some paint, test the brush stroke on the plate, and begin painting. If the brush is too wet, blot excess water on a paper towel, apply more paint, and try again. Use the square brush for large solid areas, such as the hair or clothing, and the pointed brush for fine details. Rinse your brush thoroughly in water before switching colors. Let the figurines dry.
2. Add the necklace. Thread the needle, knotting the thread at one end. String the beads onto the thread until the necklace is long enough to just fit around the bride neck. Tie the loose ends around the neck in a firm knot and trim with scissors.
3. Add the bouquet and the veil. Cut a 1-x-2-inch piece of tulle (larger for longer or fuller veil). Accordion-fold it, and attach it to the head with a dab of hot glue. Add a button on top using hot glue. Attach a decorative button or cabochon flower for the bouquet using hot glue.
4. Decorate the base. Trace the Styrofoam disc twice on your paper, and cut out both circles using scissors. Measure the height of your Styrofoam base and cut a strip of solid paper that measure as follows: [height of base] x [circumference of base + 1/2 inch]. Note: Circumference = diameter x 3.14. Wrap the paper strip around the side of the base, carefully aligning the top and bottom. Affix with hot glue. Align a circle to the top of the base and affix with hot glue. Repeat for the bottom. Wrap the ribbon around the base and pin or hot glue in place, aligning its seam with the seam in the paper strip. If desired, add a separate bow to the front of the ribbon.
5. Attach the bride and groom. Using hot glue, attach the bride and groom to the base. Be sure they are facing away from the seams in the paper and ribbon.